PHP Developer at FanHub
Permanent Position - London (remote during lockdown)
What you tell your friends you do
“I work in Sports tech! I work across multiple digital products like fantasy and predictor games and my job is to ensure we are delivering best of breed technical solutions to our clients.”
What you will really be doing
- Working with other developers and product teams to produce efficient, robust, high performant PHP APIs and data services, and launch these in AWS to power our suite of applications.
- Working with the broader FanHub team in understanding optimal technical approaches for prospective projects and clients
- Consulting with clients to gather technical requirements for third-party integrations and documenting solutions
- Communicating technology ideas and issues with peers and management
How you will be doing this
- Working closely with the GM of Technology based in London and our team of developers, product managers, designers, QA and live support teams across the globe.
- Working within project teams of typically 1-2 other developers to ensure tasks are estimated, planned into sprints, and delivered on time and within scope.
- Helping monitor and maintain our AWS hosting infrastructure to ensure we meet stability, security and cost optimisation benchmarks.
- Building proof of concepts using new technology, and evaluating the suitability of introducing these within the FanHub technology stack.
- Being an enthusiast in the technology industry, keeping up with latest trends and security risks.
- Possessing a love for sport and ideally a passion for fantasy sports!
What have we worked on recently?
A huge variety of things! We launch over 50 products each year, some of which are:
- Fantasy Football games for The Sun Dream Team and The Telegraph
- Predictor games for all sports from football to cricket to darts to horse racing
- Reality TV predictor games for series like The Bachelor and Love Island
- Location based daily fantasy game for Buffalo Wild Wings sports bars in the USA
- Fantasy and Pick Em games for the NFL, NBA and MLB across multiple territories and languages
- Polls, quizzes and real-time games like Live Trivia for the NBA
Skills & Requirements
Below is a list of things we’d like to find, but don’t expect a unicorn that meets everything. Hopefully you tick most of the boxes and are passionate to learn more about the ones you don't.
- 2+ years as a web developer with experience using backend programming languages
- Experience building web services and data feeds, ideally using PHP & MySQL
- Knowledge of OWASP 10 and the latest security vulnerabilities
- Experience writing unit tests and using testing frameworks
- Understanding of performance testing techniques and caching strategies to improve performance under high load
- Experience using AWS or other cloud computing services
- Ability to troubleshoot programming issues and bug fix
In addition to technical skills, you should also be able to help keep our product team updated and help them liaise with clients on technical issues and solutions
- Exceptional time management and communication skills with great attention to detail
- Ability to brainstorm and communicate technology ideas and issues with peers, tech leads and management
- An ability to consult with clients in order to gather technical requirements for third-party integrations, and help estimate and document solutions
- An exciting opportunity to work within the sports and games industry
- Room for you to do things your way
- Some flexibility with working hours, so long as you get the job done
- Opportunities to work in some of our other offices around the world - Melbourne, Sydney, New York and Atlanta
- 25 days of paid leave, so long as you promise to come back!
- An amazing bunch of people to make coming to work every day something you enjoy